Saturday, April 12, 2008

PWNED!

When I read Matt Taibbi I am often reminded of Hunter S. Thompson. His rapier wit and scalding attacks on politicians, CEO's, and other Prominent Citizens are spot on and well-crafted. Erica Jong tiptoed into the roiling waters surrounding Matt Taibbi and got her 800 year old ass scalded. The back and forth at HuffPo started with this Jong criticism of media coverage of Hillary Clinton, continued with Taibbi's response, then back to Jong and finally Matt finishes here.

To sum up: Erica Jong writes a half-baked essay (on the basis of so perfunctory a read of one single line of one single article that she couldn't remember my name; she confused me with my father), violates my mother in print, and calls me a motherfucker. Then, when I write back to defend myself (and, by extension, my mother), she first cloaks herself in the suffering of both the Jewish people and African-Americans, then congratulates herself on having achieved the intellectual level of one of the great geniuses of the 20th century, and then finally compares me, in the space of a couple of sentences, to both the Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan -- two great historical enemies of exalted thinkers like herself, thinkers who even as we speak would be tirelessly working to prevent the breakup of the Antarctic ice cap and genreally save humanity from itself wherever possible, were it not for the childish insults of such anti-intellectual monsters as me gumming up the works.


Ouch! That had to hurt.




No comments: