Friday, September 11, 2009

I Have Not Forgotten You

My condolences to all the families and friends of those who died on that terrible day eight years ago.

SPECIAL NOTE: For my friend from You Tube, I know you lost your sister that day and I am thinking of you today. Molly, the girls and I send you our best wishes.

Mark Knopfler's song If This Is Goodbye was written a couple of years after September 11, 2001. During an interview he once explained that it took him a while to come to grips, as an artist, with what happened that day. He could not immediately sit down and write a song. It took him a while. What he did pen was magnificent. It was written after he listened to many of those final phone calls, and the reports about them, from the people who died that day. It is written from that perspective.

If you knew your were facing your last moments and could make one phone call: who would you call and what would you say? This is the one song, of all the songs written about 9/11 that speaks to me:

Who knows how long we've got
Or what we're made of
Who knows if there's a plan of not
There is our, I know there is our love

You can listen to the song on Imeem or download it at Amazon.

1 comment:

Emily L. Hauser said...

Really? You had to make me weep half an hour before I'm supposed to go to a big important meeting?

This is really, really beautiful GP. I'm almost glad I didn't get here to hear it on 9/11 -- I would have been undone. Thank you, man.